– Email firstname.lastname@example.org or message the Magnus Music Facebook page with your booking inquiry. PICK ONE, don’t message all outlets The more you spam us, the less likely we are to respond or book your band. We don’t have the time to respond to every inquiry we get, so if we don’t get back assume we either don’t want to book you or don’t have anything available for you in the near future.
– Venues have certain expectations for genres, full bands vs. soloists, etc. Please review these and make sure your act falls into the necessary categories prior to requesting to be booked at a particular venue:
– The Whiskey Jar: Full bands only, only booking late nights on Fridays and Saturdays, accepted genres are folk, bluegrass, americana, blues, jazz, country, rockabilly, and rock n’ roll. Must bring PA, must have 2.5 hours of material (covers and originals are both welcome), must be high energy.
– Jefferson Vineyards ‘Sunsets Become Eclectic’ Summer Concert Series: Monthly concert series during the summer, featuring professional sound and stage. Full bands only. Looking for high energy, family friendly folk, rock, americana, country, reggae, and world. Not your standard vineyard gig, not looking for the “background music” most vineyards want. 2017’s series is already booked! If you want to play 2018’s series, contact us in early 2018.
– Rapture: Rapture has a variety of live music and DJs, however we are primarily responsible for booking the late night Wednesday slot, called the Charlottesville Music Showcase. CMS bands must be high energy, and we’re usually looking for funk, rock, jam, EDM, jazz fusion, and reggae, or bands that appeal to fans of those genres. All CMS shows require 2.5 hours of material. The house provides pro PA and sound.
– Wild Wolf Brewery: Wild Wolf has live music three nights a week: Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. We book full bands for Friday and Saturday evenings, and the house books soloists on Sundays. An important thing to note is that Wild Wolf shows take place on the patio, so bands must maintain a low volume. We typically ask bands to bring stripped down percussion to comply with this (cocktail kits, bongos, cajons, etc are all preferred to full drum kits). Looking for rock, country, americana, folk, and blues. Acoustic acts are preferred, and electric acts must respond to requests from staff to turn down amps if they wish to be invited back. Artists must bring their own PA and have 2.5 hours of material (covers and originals are both welcome).
– The Ante Room: Charlottesville’s ACTUAL best variety. Send booking inquiries to email@example.com.
– We no longer book for Heritage on Main. Contact them directly for bookings!
– Send us links to your YouTube, Bandcamp, Facebook, and any other social media you think we need to see. Definitely include at least one place to actually listen to your music.
– Include a *short* bio in your email. Genres are important, as are “sounds like”/”for fans of” type descriptions. No life stories or large works of speculative fiction please. Keep your NaNoWriMo submissions to yourself.
– If you’re a touring act, send us your target dates, or at least a general timeframe you want to be booked in.
– Send us hi-res promo material, tour ad mat, etc. after confirming a date.
– Spam us nonstop with emails, FB messages, etc., especially that stupid thing where you Re: your own email repeatedly with a “Just circling back around on this one” every day. Passive-aggressive comments and page posts on FB are also a good way to never get booked.
– Argue over what the venue pays, especially if it’s your first time out at that particular venue. The venue (not us) decides what they want to pay bands, so haggling just wastes your time and ours. If you don’t like the guarantee, don’t take the gig. Alternately take the gig and blow their minds with your massive musical talent and huge draw so they want to pay you more next time.